Air fryer orange roughy recipe is so easy to make and its ready in less than 20 minutes. You will love how juicy and fresh this fish tastes. Pair it with a nice steamy bowl of white rice, creamy mashed potatoes or salad and enjoy your dinner.
This delicious fish is so easy to prepare just the way you like. Try my blackened orange roughy recipe too, so juicy, flaky and simple. Both recipes are healthy, keto friendly and low carb. Great for a late dinner or lunch! You can even cook it and chop for fish tacos.
How to make air fryer orange roughy
If you have orange roughy fillets, rinse them with cold water first. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside. Prepare you spice mix and cover fish with it on both sides. Its important to season the fish well to get that amazing flavor.
Lay air fryer basket with lemon slices or with air fryer liners. Place seasoned orange roughy fillets on top and stick the basket into the air fryer. Cook for 7 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once fish is cooked, squeeze some lemon on top and maybe add couple thinly sliced lemon pieces on top.
Where to buy orange roughy
In California its not that easy to find this fish in stores. I have seen Walmart sells it but its very seasonal. I usually purchase it online and the fish comes frozen. Thawing process is very easy, just leave it in the fridge overnight. Or on the counter for a few hours if you are in rush.
Its much easier to buy this fish in Australia, you can get it fresh from the sea market.
What does it taste like
Orange roughy has a delicate mild flavor when cooked properly. Its flaky and those large flakes hold very well together when cooked. The color turns to opaque white after cooking, just like most white fish on the market like tilapia.
The flavor is also slightly sweet and reminds me of the taste of grouper fish. I have a delicious super popular grouper recipe on my site, check it out!
Cooking time and temperature
Cook frozen tilapia in air fryer at 375 degrees for 7 minutes. This time is enough to cook 2-4 little fillets all the way through. If using large fillets, increase cooking time to 10 minutes. Fillets pictured in this recipe are small.
My most favorite way to enjoy this air fryer orange roughy fillets is with nice fresh garden salad. Chop juicy tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and bell peppers, add chopped cilantro and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste and its ready to enjoy.
You can also make a nice bowl of white or brown rice. Fish always goes well with some rice for dinner or lunch.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Cook fish until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit. You can easily check it using instant meat thermometer.
- You can use different fish in this recipe. It could be tilapia, swai fish or any other flaky white fish.
- If you have a whole fish, you will need to clean and descale it before cooking. Best if you got already cleaned fillets, like me. No extra work!
- Spices used in the recipe can be substituted for those you love most. Don’t overpower the fish though!
- If you don’t have air fryer liners, just simply use sliced lemon. Place fish on top of lemon and it will not stick. It also will get a nice lemon aroma.
How to thaw orange roughy fillets
If you got frozen fillets like i did, all you need to do is to leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw. Orange roughy is known for its ability to hold its shape even if thawed and frozen couple times.
Not everyone can plan ahead. In this way, just leave frozen fish on the counter and it will thaw in couple hours. You can also place fillets in a bowl of cold water, it will help them defrost faster.
What to do with leftovers
Store fish leftovers in the air tight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes when needed. Don’t reheat for longer or the fish may dry out.
More air fryer recipes
- Air fryer bbq chicken thighs
- Air fryer quails
- Air fryer chicken hearts
- Air fryer turkey wings
- Air fryer catfish nuggets
- Air fryer cornish hen
- 2 small orange roughy fillets
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of white pepper (optionally)
- ½ lemon juice
- oil spray
- Lay air fryer liner on the bottom of air fryer
- Mix spices in a small bowl. Spray some oil on top of orange roughy and cover with spices.
- Place fish in air fryer and cook for 6-7 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Squeeze some lemon on top of fish before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g