Try this easy and quick low carb keto meatball casserole made with zucchini, cream and lots of cheese. Could be an amazing make ahead dish for you and your family.
Recently i created a really delicious recipe for keto turkey meatballs that i shared with you guys… That made me wonder, what if i make a whole casserole dish with those meatballs? Looked in the fridge and realized that i have everything i need, so lets start!
- Ground turkey
- Heavy cream
- Shredded cheese
How to make this cheesy meatball casserole
- First you will need to combine finely chopped onions with turkey and egg. Add preferred spices and mix it very well. You will need to form meatballs out of it. I made 12 mini meatballs out of 1/2 lb ground turkey.
- Slice zucchini thinly and lay the bottom of your casserole dish. Top with half amount of the heavy cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Next layer is meatballs. All meatballs fit in one layer in the 6×9 in casserole dish
- Top with more cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese and heavy cream.
What cheese is best for casserole?
The best cheese for casserole is the cheese you shred yourself. When you buy a shredded cheese from the store, you will be surprise to learn how much wood is in the package. It prevent cheese from caking but also prevent from melting correctly.
The best variety of cheese is traditionally hard cheddar. It melts perfectly, looks awesome and taste delicious! Parmesan and Monterey Jack cheeses are on the second place for me.
Can you make this casserole ahead of time
This dish is perfect for a make ahead dinner. Cook it a day before, keep in the casserole dish, tightly covered with foil in fridge. Then just pop in to the oven until cheese is melted again, about 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees.
I love how zucchini tastes in this recipe, my kids love zucchini too and i am trying to incorporate it into as many dishes as possible. My keto zucchini pancakes are to die for!
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1/3 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 sliced zucchini
- 1/2 grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Evenly place sliced zucchinis as a first layer in to your casserole dish. Add half of the amount of heavy cream on top and half of the shredded cheddar.
- Make meatballs. Mix turkey, egg, onion and spices and form 12 meatballs. Add them to the casserole dish in one layer.
- Top it with leftover cheese and cream.
- Bake for 17 minutes, then turn the broiler on and let cheese get nice and brown for another 5 minutes. You can add more cheese before turning the broiler on.
* Use dried or fresh herbs
** Add as much cheese as you like.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429 Total Fat: 34g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 144mg Sodium: 922mg Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 26g