Delicious baked whole striped bass in foil is so easy and quick to make. Tender melt in your mouth fillet pairs well with your favorite side dish. Add a squeeze of lemon on top and enjoy.
Great easy recipe to try if you have a whole striped bass. You can use any whole white fish in this recipe as much as fillets. Fillets will be cooked though in about 10-12 minutes.
How to make baked whole striped bass in foil
If your fish is not cleaned you will definitely need to clean it. Start with scraping scales. Also gut the fish and make sure its properly cleaned inside. Run the water inside the fish until its clear and there is no red.
Prepare foil. I use heavy duty foil from Costco but any other foil will definitely work. Get a big piece. You will need to wrap fish in double lair of foil and cover it tight to ensure proper cooking. We don’t want a lot of steam to come out during the process.
Lay whole fish in the middle of the foil piece. If the fish is too big chop the tail fin. Place sliced lemon pieces and rosemary inside the fish and sprinkle some salt and pepper inside as well.
On the outside, rub fish with spices and also place rosemary and lemon on top for better presentation.
Wrap striped bass tightly with foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Cooking time of course depends on how large your fish is. It may take longer or shorter. If the fish is really big cook it for 30 minutes.
Spices and aromatics
I used a simple blend of my favorite aromatics in this baked striped bass recipe. Lemon is a number one ingredient when cooking fish. Garlic is very important too because it gives so much flavor to any kind of fish, white or red.
In this recipe i also used some rosemary. Fresh rosemary has more citrus flavor than dried and pairs so well with fish. It is also very fragrant so don’t use too much of it. You don’t want to overpower the fish. Additionally i added salt and some black and ground white pepper. Just a pinch of each.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Do not overcook the fish. Sea bass has a good amount of fat that will keep it moist but still if you will cook it for too long the fish will dry out.
- Check the internal temperature. It should be at least 145 degrees when fully cooked. I use an instant meat thermometer.
- Add chopped scallions and more garlic for more intense aroma. Your kitchen will be filled with it!
- To prevent any leakage use heavy duty foil or use a double layer of regular foil.
- This recipe is completely mess free. After the fish is cooked, you can eat it right from the foil and throw it away when done. Clean plates and baking dish!
One of the best side dishes for white fish is also the most simple- just a bowl of plain white rice. You can add some soy sauce to season rice. Boiled baby potatoes or mashed potatoes are great choices too. I like eat creamy garlic mashed potatoes with my fish dishes.
If you are having a late dinner and want to go low carb make a salad. Mix arugula or chopped lettuce, some cherry tomatoes, sliced onions and cucumbers. Drizzle olive oil mixed with some salt and lemon juice over the salad and enjoy.
If you have baked whole striped bass leftovers, store them in the air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When its time to reheat, use microwave. 1 minutes is usually enough but it depends on your microwave oven power.
You can freeze leftovers as well. Put fish in the air tight container that is freezer friendly as well. Or use a freezer friendly plastic bag. Freeze for 3-4 months.
More fish and seafood recipes
- Blackened orange roughy recipe
- Pomfret recipe
- Bluefish recipe
- Baked whole catfish
- Crab guacamole
- Crab potato salad
- 1 striped bass (medium size)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 rosemary springs
- ½ lemon, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of white pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Clean the fish, cut it and remove any guts. No need to do that if the fish is already cleaned.
- Place fish on top of a piece of foil. Make sure that foil is big enough to wrap sea bass.
- Add half of the garlic, rosemary, lemon and spices in to the fish cavity. Add the rest on top of the fish.
- Wrap the fish tightly and place it on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Check internal temperature, it should be at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit when fully cooked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 574mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g