Baked white pomfret fish is a delicious meal for every seafood lover. Topped with tomatoes, green onions and ginger it takes less than 30 minutes to cook. Nutritious and healthy lunch or dinner!
White pomfret is a delicious fish that has a buttery taste and white meat. The flesh doesn’t taste fishy and is very easy and fast to cook.
The most popular way of cooking white pomfret is steaming, frying and baking. Today we are going to be making baked white pomfret recipe. You can use your own favorite spices and herbs or use what i added to the recipe.
How to make baked white pomfret recipe
If you purchased frozen fish, thaw it first. Best if you leave the fish overnight in the fridge, on a plate or in a bowl. If you don’t have much time you can simply thaw pomfret on the counter. It will be completely defrosted in couple hours.
Clean it and gut if needed. Make sure to remove all the guts and clean properly inside the fish. Now its time to preheat the oven so its hot when the fish is ready.
Place fish in the baking dish. Cover pomfret entirely with ginger paste. You can make your own ginger paste or you can use a store bought. Stuff cavity with vegetables and herbs and than top the fish with the same mixture.
In this white pomfret recipe i used chopped tomatoes, green onions and cilantro. Simple but so flavorful! Squeeze lemon and drizzle on top of the fish and lay some thinly sliced lemon slices on top. Now its ready for the oven!
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, covered in foil. After, turn on your broiler and broil fish for about 3-5 minutes. This step is optional but it really helps with presentation and beautiful look of the dish.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Don’t overcook the fish. Even though pomfret is a pretty buttery fish, you still don’t want to overcook it because the meat can become dry.
- Fully cooked fish internal temperature should be at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have an instant meat thermometer use it to ensure that your fish is cooked properly and all the way though.
- Add chopped jalapeno or mushrooms to the vegetable mixture. Italian parsley is good too instead of cilantro. Try to use minced garlic.
- Use foil not only on top of the baking baking dish but you can actually wrap fish in it. It will safe time on cleaning the baking dish from fish juices. If the foil is not heavy duty use a double layer.
- Do not flip the fish while baking. It is absolutely unnecessary. Baked white pomfret will be cooked evenly without the need to flip.
You can totally enjoy the fish all by itself. Its already delicious and filling. But if you need a side dish i recommend a steamy bowl of white rice. Its a classic fish rice combination that never fails.
A bowl of creamy mashed potatoes will be amazing with white fish. Add some garlic to the mash don’t forget the butter.
Healthy garden or arugula salad with tomatoes and cucumbers is a great choice for late dinner. Healthy and very light.
Store leftover white pomfret in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
I do not recommend refreezing the fish after its being cooked. I think it will start falling apart but if you guys tried it please let me know in the comment section.
More fish recipes
- Pan fried barramundi
- Whole baked pompano
- Blackened cobia recipe
- Yellow croaker recipe
- Baked bluefish recipe
- Easy pan seared monkfish
- 1 whole white pomfret
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse fish with cold water. If pomfret is not cleaned, clean it and remove guts.
- Place pomfret in a baking dish. Cover fish with ginger paste and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Stuff cavity with tomatoes, cilantro and green onions.
- Cover fish with more chopped vegetables and top with lemon slices and lemon juice. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then take the foil off and broil for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g