Delicious oven baked whole turbot recipe that is so easy to make! Turbot is what of those fishes that doesn’t require much cleaning (no scales!), just pop it in the oven with some spices, lemon and olive oil and enjoy.
It is the best to cook turbot whole because bones adds so much flavor to the fish. If you have fillets its also delicious, don’t worry! I love to cook turbot with lots of olive oil and lemon. This is just a fantastic combination to maximize turbot delicate flavor.
What is turbot fish
Turbot is a flatfish that is usually large in size. Flesh has a flaky texture and white in color. Like any flatfish turbot yields 4 fillets. We are making whole fish in the oven today so no need to fillet.
Farmed turbot is usually twice or even tree times smaller than wild caught. If you are buying fish from frozen, always look at the label to know where the fish came from. Farmed fish doesn’t have as strong flavor as wild and require less time to cook.
Turbot is packed with protein and minerals like phosphorus, iodine, calcium, potassium and magnesium. The fish is found in the North Sea, Mediterranean Sea, the Baltic Sea and along the Atlantic coasts of Europe. That is why most of the turbot fish sold in US is frozen.
How to bake turbot in the oven
First as always, you need to preheat the oven. You need to do that so when the fish is ready, the oven is nice and hot. Now its time to clean the fish. If you purchased turbot already cleaned than you don’t need to do anything. Otherwise clean it, remove guts and the head if you want. Turbot fish doesn’t have scales so that makes the life easier.
Line baking sheet either with parchment paper or foil. This method will make your cleaning after a breeze. I really like to use foil every time i bake something. Place fish on top.
Mix capers, freshly squeezed lemon juice, salt, pepper and dried thyme in the small bowl. Add olive oil. Generously brush turbot with the mixture. Open the cavity and add more oil mixture inside the fish for extra flavor. Place some thinly sliced lemon slices on top.
Bake uncovered for about 35 to 45 minutes. Mine took 40 minutes to reach 145 degrees internal temperature. If the fish is really big, cook it for 45 full minutes, or even 50 minutes. Since turbot is a flatfish it usually cooks evenly.
Where to buy turbot
I like purchasing my turbot fish in online stores. Never seeing it in grocery stores here in town. You can probably find turbot in Asian or European stores, frozen in the freezer aisle. Check local fish markets for the fish too.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Do not overcook the fish. Turbot has a good amount of fat that will keep it moist but still if you will cook it for too long the fish will dry out.
- Check the internal temperature. It should be at least 145 degrees when fully cooked. I have an instant meat thermometer that is used in almost every recipe i make.
- Add chopped scallions and cilantro on top of the fish for presentation.
- To prevent any leakage use heavy duty foil or use a double layer of regular foil.
- This recipe is completely mess free. After the fish is cooked, you can eat it right from the foil and throw it away when done. Clean plates and baking dish!
White fish goes very well with a light salad. This is a perfect low carb dinner option. If you don’t care about carbs, have this baked turbot with a nice bowl of white or brown rice. Classic combination of white fish and rice is always a great idea. Homemade mashed potatoes in Ninja Foodi is an excellent choice if you have a pressure cooker, Instant pot will work too.
If you have baked whole turbot fish leftovers, store them in the air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When its time to reheat, use microwave. 1 minute is usually enough but it depends on your microwave oven power. Don’t overcook, microwave can make it dry.
You can freeze leftovers as well. Put fish in the air tight container that is freezer friendly as well. Or use a freezer friendly plastic bag. Freeze for 3-4 months.
More fish recipes
- Air fryer frozen tilapia
- Pan seared catfish nuggets
- Whole catfish recipe
- Whole striped bass recipe
- Orange roughy recipe
- Pomfret recipe
- Air fryer catfish nuggets
I really hope you enjoy this dish. If you make this baked whole turbot recipe, please leave a comment below!
- 1 whole turbot
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gut the fish if needed. Line the baking dish with foil and place the fish on top of that.
- Mix other ingredients in a small bowl and brush the fish with. Add some mixture inside the fish as well.
- Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes. Mine took 40 minutes to cook all the way through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 631mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g