Delicious juicy melt in your mouth tender oven baked salmon collars recipe. Simple seasoning and some crunch on top, all you need to enjoy salmon kama at your house.
Salmon collar is a part of salmon just above the gills and below the head. Its very meaty and tender. Its also the sweetest and fattiest part of the fish.
Where to buy it
I used to purchase salmon whole while living in a different country. In USA we are mostly used to fillets. In some stores you can find fish heads and fish collars sold separately. That’s exactly what we need.
Also most Asian stores have salmon collars in a fresh fish isle. Or ask at your local store, if the fishmonger can cut a piece for you. Fish collars are not in high demand
Here is the salmon head recipe i made the other day. So delicious and so easy.
Salmon collar nutrition
Salmon collar is a great source of potassium and omega-3 fatty acids. With not so many calories per serving it will fill you up quickly. If you are on a low carb or keto diet, eat collars freely, there is almost no carbs here!
Best way to cook fish collards
When i am at the Japanese restaurant, i love the way they cook salmon or yellowtail kama. Its usually just lightly seasoned and grilled after.
At the house i decided to simply broil it in the oven. It only take about 5-6 minutes and you get that amazing charred feel on the salmon without even lighting up the grill!
Lightly drizzle collars with soy sauce right before cooking. You can marinate fish for 20 minutes for more flavor if you like.
Add grated ginger or chili flakes for some kick. My kids are not big fans of spicy food so i didn’t add it.
Can i cook it from frozen
I rarely cook any kind of fish frozen. Thaw it overnight in the fridge or on the counter for couple hours. If you are in rush, place fish collars in a plastic bag and leave for 30 minutes in a bowl with cold water. It should help it thaw quicker.
Other delicious ways to cook salmon or hamachi collars are grilling, sauteing or even boiling. Soup made with collars is very rich and the broth is delicious.
More seafood recipes
- Air fryer catfish nuggets
- Whole catfish baked in foil in the oven
- Healthy oven baked sea bream fillet
- Baked branzino fillets
- Air fryer swordfish steak
- 2 salmon collars
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- juice of ½ lemon
- green onions
- salt and black pepper
- Rinse salmon collars and pat dry with a paper towel. Place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with soy sauce and lemon juice. Top with half of the amount sliced green onions.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and turn on the broiler. Broil for 5-6 minutes, checking on them every other minute.
- I used a parchment paper before but then it started burning in the oven. I don't recommend using the parchment paper when broiling food in the oven.
- Broiler usually heats up really quick so there is no need to preheat the oven.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 941mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 51g