Try this easy and super delicious healthy sea bream fillets recipe, oven baked and ready in less then 20 minutes. Enjoy meaty and delicate bite of this white fish, low in fat and full of flavor.
Sea bream also called dorade and its native to Mediterranean region. Its a smaller fish with shiny silver skin. It has mild flavor and meaty texture.
Where to buy it
I have never seen dorade or sea bream sold in the store in US. I did try it before when i traveled to Turkey or Greece but never in North America.
The best and easiest way to get it is probably from online stores. I bought mine fresh and it was delivered to me withing two days, covered with ice packs.
These are two 4 oz skin on fillets of sea bream, no bones and descaled. I kept the skin on while cooking, its edible and delicious.
I am sure if you freeze raw fish it will be fine for a few months. The fish will get a bit more tender and the texture will be more soft. Always try to get it fresh if you can.
What does sea bream taste like
I absolutely love the clean taste of this fish. Its so mild and a bit sweet, the texture is tender and almost melting in your mouth if not overcooked. The fat content is lowand you will feel its thin layer on top of your fillet.
Fillets i bought are pretty thin and the meat is lean and low in fat. There is no bones in a fillet but if you have the whole fish get ready for some bone picking.
How to cook sea bream fillets
If you have fillets, there is no much preparation needed. It usually already has no bones and no scales. Here is instructions for perfect healthy oven baked fish:
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Grab a medium size baking dish and place sliced lemons all over the bottom. It will give your fish so much lemony flavor and will prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- Add sea bream, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. This fish has a very mild taste and you don’t want to overpower it with spices.
- Top it with cherry tomatoes and lots of capers. I like how capers taste with white fish, what a great combination.
- Cook for about 15 minutes. You can broil it for couple minutes in the end to make tomatoes look a bit charred. Don’t let it broil too long, it will dry the fish.
What to serve it with
The most popular option will be to serve it with plain white rice. So classic and so delicious. I prefer to enjoy it with a fresh salad or a coleslaw.
Mashed potatoes will taste amazing paired with white fish like sea bream. I had it with scalloped potatoes once and it was great too.
More seafood recipes
I have a large variety of fish and seafood recipe on my site, here are some recipes:
- Whole catfish baked in foil
- Baked branzino fillets
- Air fryer swordfish
- Air fryer catfish nuggets
- Slow cooker shrimp scampi
- 2 4oz sea bream fillets
- 1 tablespoon capers
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice lemon and lay it on the bottom of the baking dish to cover it. Wash and dry fillets with paper towel. Place on top of lemon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add capers and cherry tomatoes on top of sea bream. You can also add some lemon slice on top too for decoration.
- Place it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the broiler and broil for just couple minutes.
- Don't use too much salt because capers are pretty salty too. They will season the fish while baking.
- Broiling is optional. I like this finished look of the dish, when tomatoes and lemon are bit burned on the sides.
- Add thinly sliced green onions on top , it will bring more color to the dish and its crunchy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g