Delicious refreshing salmon avocado ceviche made with raw fish, avocado, lots of onions and cilantro. Add lime or lemon juice and enjoy this healthy zesty appetizer or side dish salad.
I have ceviche on the table often and really enjoy cooking it. Its easy, its very fresh and it takes only 10 minutes to make! Better the restaurant, salmon avocado ceviche that is so good with corn chips or tastadas. Or as is.
What is ceviche
Ceviche is a Southern American dish that contain raw fish or other seafood that is cured in lots of lemon or lime juice. This process will turn the fish meat opaque and it will look like its cooked. But its not, so make sure you had your fish frozen before for at least a week in the freezer (-4 degrees Fahrenheit) to kill all the parasites.
How to make salmon avocado ceviche
Start with picking right freshest ingredients. I used frozen Atlantic salmon, about 4 oz fillet. If you have fresh salmon, i recommend freezing it for a week to get rid of unwanted creatures. Cube or slice fish in even pieces and place in the ceramic bowl.
Season salmon with salt and pepper. Grab an avocado, wash it and cut in half. Scoop the flesh out using a spoon and cut it in even pieces. Well, it doesn’t have to be completely even, i just like to make it look neat.
Chop cilantro and jalapenos. Remove the seeds if you want less heat. I kept mine because we like it spicy. Add chopped onions. I used yellow onion but red onion is used more traditional way. Plus it adds a nice pink color to the dish.
The most important step is to juice lime or lemon into the bowl and mix everything up! Serve it right away with your favorite chips.
Recipe tips and notes
- Tomatoes are optional in this recipe. They go well in more traditional ceviche recipe and add more juiciness to the dish for sure.
- Jalapenos are perfect and has just right amount of heat. You can also use poblano or serrano peppers.
- Leftovers. Do not make ceviche ahead of time. Please eat it as soon as you prepare it. If you still have some leftovers, you can eat them next day just make sure the fish still smell fresh. Make sure to keep it in fridge in airtight container.
- If using tostadas, don’t top them with ceviche until ready to eat. Tostadas will become soft and soggy.
- Do not use a metal bowl when making salmon avocado ceviche. Metal will react with lime and lemon and affect the flavor.
How long can you store ceviche in refrigerator
As i mentioned before, i don’t recommend storing ceviche that contain raw fish for too long. 24 hours maximum. Also try to pour off as much marinade as possible before storing. You can add fresh lime juice later to adjust the flavor.
I hope you will enjoy this raw salmon avocado salad. Ceviche is a salad in some way because all the ingredients are chopped and mixed together. It is also a perfect side dish or an appetizer on Sunday brunch.
Another way of making salmon ceviche is so cure salmon completely covered in lime juice for 1 hour. I don’t like to wait for that long though.
Make sure to serve salmon avocado ceviche with plantain chips, corn chips or simple saltine crackers. Tostadas is another great way to enjoy it. Since i like it spicy, i always leave a bottle of hot sauce on the table to add on top of your fresh ceviche.
Readers also like
- Jaiba ceviche (crab ceviche)
- Slow cooker Mexican chicken
- Air fryer roasted salsa
- Slow cooker Salsa Verde beef
- Chicken gizzards and hearts recipe
Raw salmon avocado ceviche
Delicious refreshing salmon avocado ceviche made with
raw fish, avocado, lots of onions and cilantro. Add lime or lemon juice and enjoy this healthy zesty appetizer or side dish salad.
- 4 oz raw salmon
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 onion
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 3 limes or 2 lemons
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tomato (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice avocado, onions,tomatoes (if using) jalapenos and cilantro and place in a ceramic bowl. Chop salmon (check for bones!) and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze limes on top of other ingredients, add salt and pepper.
- Mix it very well and its ready to serve with corn chips or tostadas.
- To get the most juice out of lime, roll it on the table before cutting.
- Add more or less of each ingredient depending on your personal preference.
- Take seeds out of jalapenos to make ceviche more mild flavored.
- If you like cucumbers in your ceviche add some. It will be delicous.
- Red onion is milder then yellow onion. Use the one you like more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 13gSugar: 8gProtein: 16g
Leave a Reply