Making mashed zucchini for dinner today? Follow my step my step instructions for the best easy and super healthy zucchini mashed potatoes that goes so well with all kinds of poultry, beef, pork or fish.
Mashed zucchini texture and consistency reminds me of a very thick zucchini soup. Zucchini contains lots of water, that’s why when we, lets say, make zucchini fritters we squeeze most of the water out. It helps patties stay together.
In a zucchini mash we actually boil this squash in water and than mash it without squeezing extra liquid out. You only pour out the water it was boiling in.
How to make mashed zucchini
Wash your zucchinis. Now, cut both ends of each vegetable. Don’t cut too much, just enough to cover rough ends. Don’t peel.
Using sharp knife cut zucchinis in chunks, not too small, not too big (see the picture).
Fill the medium size pot with water and place on the stove. Wait until its boiling and add salt. Now its time to add chunks of zucchinis into the water. Let the water boil again and than simmer on a medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. Vegetables have to be fork tender when done.
Drain the water and leave zucchinis in the same pot. Using your immersion blender blend squash until smooth. If the consistency is too runny, simmer on low for 5 minutes until thicken. Stir constantly.
My mashed zucchini were perfect without any extra simmering. Add more salt and black pepper to taste.
Do you need to peel zucchini before boiling
No you don’t need to do that. Young squash has a very delicate and soft skin, that is edible. When you boil it, the skin will become even more soft and will be easily blended into a puree.
Steamed zucchini mashed potatoes
If you have a steamer, making this zucchini recipe is a breeze! Using this method your vegetables will not absorb too much water and will be less watery. Just fill up your steamer with water, place zucchini above on the upper shelf and steam until soft for 20 minutes.
Cut vegetable in chunks for quicker steaming process. After that, transfer zucchini into a deep bowl or pot and mash it using an immersion blender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and voila!
Recipe tips and tricks
- Use immersion blender or food processor to mash zucchini. I tried to do it with the potato masher and it didn’t work.
- For extra flavor try to roast garlic and add to zucchini. You can roast it in foil in air fryer or in the oven. And than just squeeze it in our zucchini right before blending. It will be so delicious!
- Saute onions in in butter in a pan and add to already mashed zucchini. It will add extra texture and will taste amazing.
- Use Italian squash or any dark skin zucchini. Yellow squash will work equally great in this recipe.
- Add about 2 tablespoon of heavy cream for creamier texture of the dish.
- If you want a thicker dish, just add 1 potato in to the pot. Don’t forget to peel it and cut in four pieces. Blend it together and it will give your zucchini mash much thicker consistency.
Any leftover zucchini should be stored in the fridge, in an air tight container. When you will be ready to take it out to reheat, you will notice some liquid in top. It’s totally normal, just stir it to combine and reheat in the microwave or a pot.
I do not recommend freezing zucchini mashed potatoes. It will not freeze well.
Try it with
This zucchini recipe is a low carb side dish that is delicious and will work great with any kind of meat or poultry. Its also very easy to make and all you will need is a just 3 simple ingredients. These are my favorite main dishes for zucchini mashed potatoes:
- Baked lemon pepper turkey tenderloin
- Air fryer turkey wings
- Baked pork neck bones
- Baked chicken with artichokes and capers
- Ninja Foodi cornish hen
- 2 medium size zucchinis
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash zucchinis and cut in medium size chunks.
- Boil salted water in a pot and add zucchinis into the water. Simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain water and using immersion blender blend zucchinis into mash.
- Taste mashed zucchini and add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 22Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g