Easy Ninja Foodi Southern green beans recipe is a quick pressure cooker recipe that is great for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any other weekend dinner. This bacon flavored dish brings comfort and so much flavor to any dinner plate.
Southern green beans are usually prepared with bacon but you absolutely can use any other smoked meats. You can use ham, turkey legs or necks, sausage or whatever you want really. Besides that you can use already chopped onions(store-bought) and garlic powder instead of real garlic to safe time. Don;t be scared to switch things up, especially if you are cooking for crowd on Thanksgiving and running out of time.
How to pressure cook green beans in Ninja Foodi
Start with washing and trimming green beans. Heat Ninja foodi inner pot using saute function and add chopped bacon. Saute bacon for a few minutes until nice and crispy.
Drain some of the fat or simply soak it with paper towels and throw away. Add chopped onions and garlic and cook for another few minutes. Until soft and very fragrant. The smell will be absolutely fantastic!
Add broth and deglaze the pot. Scrap all the bacon pieces of the bottom of the pot. Add green beans and close the lid. Lock it and pressure cook 7 minutes. If you want softer green beans, leave it cooking for another couple minutes. After Ninja foodi beeps, quick release the pressure. Be careful opening the lid!
Can i use frozen green beans?
Yes you can use frozen green beans in this recipe. The only difference is that the time that Ninja foodi will be getting to pressure will get a little bit longer. Otherwise the pressure cooking time will remain the same.
What Can You Use Besides Bacon For Southern Green Beans?
If bacon is not something you want to add to your green beans, try different type of meat. It can be smoked turkey legs, necks or wings, ham or even a sausage. Try different combinations and find your favorite. Traditionally (Ninja Foodi) Southern green beans are made with bacon.
Can you freeze it?
Yes you can freeze green beans. Best if you freeze it in broth in air tight containers. It will help with the flavor when you will be reheating it.
Can i make it in Instant pot
Absolutely. In fact you will not need to even change anything because Instant pot is also a pressure cooker just like Ninja foodi. Follow the recipe exactly and you will get a fantastic dish.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Cut green beans in half. It will make it a little easier to eat.
- Cooking time does not include the time it takes for the pressure cooker to pressurize. This can take about 5-10 minutes.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe if cooking for a crowd. The cooking time will remain the same.
- Bacon will take some time to cook, don’t rush it. Ninja foodi Saute button is not made to cook on really high temperatures. Just give it some time.
- If you want a light crisp in your green beans, cook it for only 4 minutes. full 7 minutes of pressure cooking will give you really soft, tender green beans. So its up to your liking.
- When sauteing or browning bacon in the Ninja foodi, be sure to let the pot get hot before adding the bacon. Otherwise it might stick.
- Frozen green beans will not need an additional time to cook.
If you have any Ninja foodi green beans leftovers, transfer them into the air tight container along with the broth. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or back in the Ninja foodi using SAUTE button. You can freeze it as well, make sure to freeze green beans with the broth.
I really like how this recipe turned out in my Ninja foodi pressure cooker. On the stove i would be cooking it for hours while in pressure cooker it took me less than 30 minutes altogether.
More Ninja Foodi Holiday recipes
- Ninja foodi cranberry sauce recipe
- Ninja foodi turkey wings
- Ninja foodi butternut squash soup
- Ninja Foodi pot roast
- Ninja foodi broccoli cheese soup
- Ninja Foodi turkey tenderloin
- 5 bacon slices, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup broth
- 1 1/2 lb green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bullion powder
- Wash green beans and trim the ends.
- Push SAUTE button on the Ninja Foodi and add chopped bacon. Saute for couple minutes and add chopped onion and garlic. Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add green beans and broth. Add salt and pepper. Close and lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Quick release the pressure as soon as it beeps.
- Carefully open the lid and scoop beans and bacon bits in to the plate. Serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 595mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g