Ninja Foodi steamed broccoli is such a healthy side dish and so easy to make. You do not need to buy a steamer anymore since your pressure cooker already has this amazing function. Ready in less than 10 minutes from start to finish. Learn how to make steam broccoli in Ninja Foodi in this post.
No doubt that the best broccoli is steamed broccoli. It doesn’t soak in water and you can easily adjust the cooking time to your liking. If you own a pressure cooker like Ninja Foodi or Instant pot, you probably already know that they have a steamer function. But did you use it?
Ninja Foodi steamer is such a life and counter space safer. There is no need in any other kitchen appliances because here you have it- pressure cooker, steamer and air fryer all in one.
How to steam broccoli in ninja foodi
Lets start with the most amazing and healthy vegetable, broccoli. Broccoli tastes best when steamed and not boiled. And goes so well with about any meat or fish dish!
Cut broccoli head in florets and rinse them in cold water. Open ninja foodi and place the aircrisp basket inside. You can use a special silicone steamer basket if you have one but the air fryer basket works just as fine. Fill it up with broccoli. Its ok to pack broccoli and place on top of each other. We are not air frying here! Add 2 cups of water in to the inner pot. Pour it right over broccoli or add before you added florets.
Get the pressure cooker lid and close Ninja Foodi with it. Since we are not pressure cooking, turn the steam valve to open. We need steam to come out. Otherwise our broccoli will become a complete mush.
Press STEAM and set time. It should be 7 minutes for perfectly steamed broccoli.
Open the lid once done and transfer to the serving plate.
How to steam frozen broccoli
I am not a big fan cooking broccoli from frozen. But if you are short in time or just don’t want to thaw it, you can steam frozen broccoli in Ninja Foodi. Use instructions provided above and just add 1 extra minute to cooking time.
- Do not overcook broccoli. Even if you will leave vegetables in the steamer after it beeps, it will be still cooking. You Ninja Foodi steamed broccoli will become too soft. Open the lid and remove broccoli as soon as the cooking process ends.
- Add salt or any preferable spices before cooking. Just sprinkle on top of broccoli and let it cook.
- Use only fresh ingredients. Broccoli should not have any yellow spots or dark dots on it. Also smell it before cooking to make sure that none of the florets went bad.
- Smaller florets will take less time to cook and large florets will take more time. This recipe time is based on a medium size florets. Adjust the steaming time accordingly.
How to serve broccoli
My most favorite way to eat broccoli is just as is or sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese. A little piece of melted butter on top would be nice too.
My husband loves to eat broccoli with some type of sauce on the side or mayonnaise. Or just with freshly ground black pepper and pink salt on top.
Can i make it in Instant pot
Absolutely! Instant pot is just another pressure cooker and it also has steamer function. Use the same direction from a recipe card. The only difference is that Instant pot doesn’t have an air fryer basket so you will need to use a silicon steamer basket or a rack (it usually comes with it.)
More Ninja Foodi recipes
- Ninja foodi pork tenderloin (bacon wrapped!)
- Ninja foodi Mississippi pot roast
- Ninja Foodi corned beef and cabbage
- Ninja Foodi white bean turkey chili
- Ninja foodi crack chicken
- Ninja Foodi pot roast
- Ninja foodi frozen crab legs
Ninja Foodi steamed broccoli (from fresh or frozen)
Ninja Foodi steamed broccoli is such a healthy side dish and so easy to make. You do not need to buy a steamer anymore since your pressure cooker already has this amazing function. Ready in less then 10 minutes from start to finish. Learn how to make steam broccoli in Ninja Foodi in this post.
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 cups of water
- Cut broccoli head into florets, rinse them with cold water.
- Add water in to the pressure cooker inner pot. Place air fryer basket in the inner pot and close the pressure cooker lid.
- Set steamer valve to open. Push the STEAMER button and set to 7 minutes.
- As soon as its cooked, open the lid and take broccoli out. Serve with your favorite topping or as is.
Dont overcook broccoli. If you have smaler size florets, cook it for 6 minutes only.
Use any other steamer basket if you prefer. I think that air fryer basket is perfect for steaming though.
Add your favorite seasoning to taste. Top steamed broccoli with cheese or with any kind of sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 65Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Yuck 7 mins to turned to so mushy.
It should not turn it in to a mush. That’s the exact amount of time you need broccoli to steam through.
Make sure the valve is open. And use Steamer setting (not high pressure)
Mine turned to absolute mush too and I followed it exactly how it said.
I love my ninja we use it everyday and the broccoli stays so nice and green in this steamed which always tastes and looks so fresh!
Kids love broccoli so this is a great post to make the perfect broccoli. I do not own a ninja foodie but an Instant pot so thank you for giving this alternative!
Great recipe. Perfectly steamed broccoli. Thanks!
I was looking for a great simple side dish and this one is perfect! I love how it came together and my twins kept asking for more! So delish.
yeah…total mush. 7 minutes was way too long. maybe my broccoli was too small
I started with colder than room temperature water, and the broccoli was fully cooked during preheating, before the steam cycle ever began. That’s probably why people are getting broccoli that’s turned to mush. If you start with hot water, the preheat time is a lot shorter, and steaming for 7 minutes should work.
I just realized I used the wrong setting on my cooker, and didn’t put the crisper plate beneath my steamer basket, so the broccoli partially boiled. Please delete both of my comments. I will comment again after I do the recipe correctly.