Remember that delicious creamy coleslaw they serve in KFC? I created an even better, yummy recipe using miracle whip or mayonnaise instead of buttermilk. It is an easy 5 minute copycat recipe that will be perfect for your summer grilling side dish or any time of the year salad.
Does it taste like the restaurant coleslaw
Yes it does! The only difference might be the way you cut your vegetables. In KFC they are chopped more course, here i just thinly sliced them. It only makes a difference in texture but the flavor is the same. Same delicious and super creamy.
How to make KFC coleslaw without buttermilk
This is a very easy recipe and can be done withing 10 minutes (if you have a food processor or mandolin and without chilling time).
Shred or finely chop cabbage and carrots. I used a mandolin but you can do it by hand. Food processor is a great option too if you are making large amounts.
Chop white onion and add to the bowl. Don’t use too much onion so it doesn’t overtake the flavor.
Now make the dressing. Mix Miracle whip with oil, sugar and vinegar. You can stir it with a whisk or with just a fork. I usually go with fork so there is less dishes to wash. Don’t forget to add some freshly ground pepper.
Pour dressing over the coleslaw and mix it very well. You want every little cabbage piece to be covered with it. As you can see i use almost equal amounts of cabbage and carrots. You don’t need to do that and make it more traditional way, with mostly cabbage.
Now cover the salad with a plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Leave it there for at least 30 minutes but better 4 hours or overnight. I like to make coleslaw the day before so it has enough time to chill in the fridge.
Recipe notes and tips
- It is important to let the coleslaw sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. All the flavors need time to blend together. Also raw cabbage and carrots with become super soft.
- Instead of buttermilk i used Miracle Whip. If you still prefer to add buttermilk, dilute it with an equal amount of mayonnaise and mix very well. Don’t forget sugar and vinegar too!
- You may add a bell pepper in to the salad as well. It will add extra crunch and extra color.
How to serve
Cabbage salad is also great with all kind of fish. Grilled white fish or baked salmon, you choose!
- ½ cabbage
- 1 big carrot
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup miracle whip
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ medium onion
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- black pepper
- Finely chop or slice cabbage and carrots using a knife, mandolin or food processor. Chop onion and add all to the bowl.
- Separately combine miracle whip, oil, sugar and black pepper in the small bowl. This is your dressing.
- Pour dressing over sliced veggies and mix very well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Leave in the fridge for as long as you can. Preferably overnight.
- I used about 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Add less if you want.
- Salt is optional. The salad was salty enough for me so i didn't any extra.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 513mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g