Instant pot turkey thighs with potatoes and gravy is not just a delicious weekend dinner for the whole family, but also a fantastic idea for Thanksgiving! Ready in 20 minutes this dish will be perfect for holidays if you don’t like turkey breast or just having a dinner for too.
I know lots of people who prefer turkey legs over turkey breast. Its much more juicy and has much higher fat content. And what is the most important, its hard to mess up.
Where to buy turkey thighs
The easiest time of the year to find fresh turkey thighs is around holidays. Turkey is sold in every grocery store!
Well, this bird is delicious at any time of the year and that’s where it gets tricky. Not every store is selling fresh turkey legs, thighs or turkey wings all year around. Look for bigger supermarkets and their meat sections.
Or you can just get turkey thighs frozen. It can be found in the freezer section of most food stores.
Best potatoes to use
Since we will be cooking everything at the same time, i recommend using baby potatoes with skin on. It will prevent them from getting mushy because the skin will hold potatoes together. You can also try to use bigger potatoes like yellow potatoes or red potatoes, just cut them in big chunks. Don’t cut them in tiny pieces or they will not hold shape well.
How to cook Instant pot turkey thighs dinner
Pressure cooker is the best for cooking turkey or any other kind of poultry or meat, fast. The cooking time will be just 20 minutes, compare to an hour or more in the oven.
Turn on SAUTE mode and add some oil into the instant pot inner pot. When it’s hot, add seasoned turkey thighs. Make sure they are rinsed and completely dry before applying the seasoning. If the thighs will have a lot of moisture, it will make the oil to splash and it might burn you.
Brown thigh on each side for about 5 minutes. Don’t move it around or it will stick to the bottom. This process will help browning the skin which will look great on the finished product.
Now its time to add your vegetables. I added baby potatoes, onions and garlic. You can absolutely add chopped celery if you like it and carrots. Baby carrots are ok to use too, no need to chop! Don’t forget to add water and spices.
Close and lock the lid on you pressure cooker. Cook for 20 minutes and then quick release the pressure. Stay away from the steam or it may burn you. Carefully open the lid and take turkey and potatoes out and put to the serving plate. If the thigh is too big, place it on the cutting board and slice in a few pieces.
Combine cold water with cornstarch and stir until the starch is fully dissolved. Add the mixture to the pot and stir. Turn instant pot to SAUTE mode and saute for couple minutes, stirring. This is your gravy! Pour it over turkey thighs and enjoy your delicious dinner!
Can i make it in Ninja Foodi
Absolutely! Ninja foodi is a pressure cooker too and is amazing on making meals like this. I have much more Ninja Foodi recipes and of course i have my favorite- Ninja Foodi pot roast. Both of these recipes can be cooked in Instant Pot using exactly same directions so you don’t have to change a bit.
If you have any leftovers keep them in the fridge in air tight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. You can freeze turkey too! Use the freezer safe ziplock bag or container and freeze for up to 4 months.
What do i love about this recipe
- This is a one pot dish. No need to wash tons of pots and pans, everything is ready in one pot. Even searing can be done here!
- Thanksgiving is not the same without turkey. If its just you or you are making a dinner for two, this Instant pot turkey thighs recipe is the best. Takes almost no time to make and is delicious.
- You can use all kinds of vegetables in the recipe. Add celery, carrots or corn on a cob (cut in 3 pieces).
- Along with thighs you can add turkey wings or drumsticks. They will take he same amount of time to cook.
More turkey recipes
- Air fryer turkey thighs
- Oven baked turkey wings
- Air fryer cajun turkey wings
- Instant pot turkey legs
- Turkey tenderloin in air fryer
- 1 turkey thigh
- ½ onion
- 3 celery sticks (optional)
- 10 baby potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Add oil in to the inner pot. Turn on SAUTE button and sear turkey thigh for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Add potatoes, chopped celery (if using), chopped onion, potatoes, spices and herbs and 1 cup of water.
- Close and lock the lid. Set Instant pot to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, quick release the pressure. Pull the meat and potatoes out and set aside. Turn on SAUTE mode.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water until fully dissolved. Add the mixture to the pot. Stir around until completely mixed in.
- Turn off SAUTE mode and transfer gravy to a different bowl or jar.
- Pour gravy over potatoes and turkey thigh and enjoy!
- If you want to get crispy turkey skin, place thighs under the broiler while making gravy.
- Add a crunchy topping to the cooked dish. Chopped green onions will be perfect!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 202mgSodium: 1304mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 46g