Delicious filling crab dip made with imitation crab meat can be served warm or cold with your favorite chips or veggies. It has only 4 simple ingredients that create an outstanding flavor when combined together!
The whole idea of making a recipe using imitation crab came to me when i had some surimi legs leftovers in the fridge. Not enough for making California rolls and not enough for pasta. Perfect to make a dip!
What is imitation crab made of
Imitation crab legs are made from surimi– a paste made from a minced white fish. Alascan pollock is the most usual choice. Pollock and whiting are also used. Then seasonings like salt and sugar are added. Some food coloring is added on top and here you have, you crab imitation legs without any real crab meat inside.
Does it taste like real crab
There is a small difference in flavor between imitation crab and real crab legs. If you are enjoying it in a complicated multiple ingredient dish you will not even notice that its not a real thing.
I comes in two forms- flaked and in sticks. Flaked is more close in texture to real crab for sure. With white mildly sweet flesh and white color imitation crab is a great alternative to real crab in any dish.
Imitation crab is very popular and used in in a variety of dishes. One of the most popular is California roll, an easily recognizable dish form a sushi restaurant. My kids love California rolls.
How to make imitation crab dip
For this recipe you will only need four simple ingredients: cream cheese, any kind of broth, onion and surimi legs.
Start with chopping the onion. Saute it in butter for a few minutes until fragrant and golden in color. Do not put too much butter.
Once onion is cooked, to the same pan add cream cheese, broth and chopped crab. Use any kind of broth you prefer. I had chicken broth, it added extra flavor.
Saute for a few minutes, stirring. It doesn’t have to be completely cooked, just warmed up.
Carefully transfer the mixture into your food processor. Use a small one if you have. Also i dont recommend using immersion blender. The amount of dip is so small, it will splash everywhere. Believe me on this, i tried.
Pulse the mixture a few time in the processor until smooth. It will be still hot so be careful opening the lid.
Here is you final dip. Serve it on the bowl while warm or wait until it will cool . I liked it with cucumber and bell pepper slices. This warm imitation crab dip is also great as a spread on a piece of toast.
Recipe notes and tricks
- Use leg style surimi. It is easier to chop cram when its in this shape compare to flaked crab.
- This dip is delicious with fresh cucumbers. Just slice them lengthwise so you can scoop more crab dip at once!
- This dip can be served either warm or cold. Warm will be delicious with crackers or corn chips.
- Do not burn onions when cooking. If that happened, discard them and cook again.
- Add 1 tablespoon of mayo for creamier texture and extra flavor
More seafood recipes
- Salmon avocado ceviche
- Air fryer walleye recipe
- Baked ocean perch
- Pan seared grouper
- Cockles (how to cook cockles)
Also try my delicious Beef jerky dip recipe.
- 1 cup chopped imitation crab
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Melt butter in the small pan. Add chopped onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add cream cheese, broth and imitation crab. Saute for couple minutes, stirring until mixed all together.
- Scoop the mixture into the small food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Move dip into a small bowl , top with chopped green onions and serve with cucumbers, peppers or chips.
- Do not use immersion blender for this amount of dip. It will splash it all over the place.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe for a bigger crowd
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 748mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g