This deliciously comforting Ninja Foodi split pea and ham soup is so easy to make! Just few ingredients and in 30 minutes you can enjoy a steamy bowl with some sour cream and crunchy bread on a side.
Split pea soup is a perfect soup for a pressure cooker. Peas comes out super soft and the kitchen is filled with smokey smell. You don’t need to babysit it for 3 hours like you did before using a stove, just dump all the ingredients in your Ninja Foodi and voila!
How to make Ninja Foodi split pea soup
Who doesn’t love dump and start recipes? When you literary just dump all your ingredients into the pot, turn it on and wait until its done.
For this soup recipe you will need dried split peas. You can get them from the regular grocery store in the dry foods and beans section. Its easy to find! You may see yellow split peas too next to green peas. They taste the same to me and make the soup color yellow.
Make sure to rinse and pick them very well, because its pretty common to find some dirt or little stones in the package.
- Split peas. I like green split peas. They bring a very vibrant color to the soup. Try with yellow split peas and please let me know how it turned out!
- Carrots. One big carrot or two small.
- Celery. Couple celery ribs will be enough
- Onions. Yellow onions are my favorite to use in this recipe
- Ham shank (or ham hock). Commonly found in the meat fridge isle in the grocery store. Used mostly in soups and stews.
Ham shank or ham hock.
There is a little difference between those two. Shank is more meaty part and located just below the pork shoulder. Well, hock has more bone and sits right above the pork feet. It doesn’t matter what you will decide to use in this recipe, both of the parts are delicious!
If you have a leftover ham bone- use it! Split pea soup is such a perfect way to use that leftover ham bone.
Can i make it in Instant Pot
Instant pot just like a Ninja Foodi is a pressure cooker, so cooking directions are the same. You can find recipe instructions in the end of this post in the recipe card. No adjustments needed.
Can i make it in slow cooker
Absolutely! Place all the ingredients in your crock pot, close the lid and cook for 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. Take out ham, shred it and put back in soup.
Serve split pea soup with chopped cilantro on top, sliced jalapenos and green onions. Add a good dollop of sour cream and give it a good stir. Enjoy soup with crunchy bread, crackers or a grilled cheese sandwich.
Vegetarian split pea soup option
Want to make it vegetarian? No problem! Just leave out ham bone and use vegetarian broth instead of chicken broth. Add more spices like basil, cumin and thyme. And i highly recommend adding smoked paprika, it will add that yummy smokey flavor.
Ninja Foodi recipes:
- Ninja foodi frozen crab legs
- Chuck pot roast in Ninja Foodi
- Ninja foodi shredded chicken
- Ninja Foodi Salsa
- 1 ham hock
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 lb dry split peas
- couple bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Chop onion, celery and carrots. Add to the pot along with other ingredients.
- Close and lock Ninja Foodi lid. Cook on high pressure for 13 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minute and then quick release it.
- Carefully open the lid. Take the ham hock out and stir pea soup.
- Remove ham meat from the bone and chop it. Add back to the pot. Stir.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- Instead of green peas you can use yellow split peas
- Substitute chicken broth in the recipe to water or vegetable broth if desired
- I had amazing results using smoked turkey wings, legs or necks instead of ham. Smoked turkey gives very intense smokey flavor.
- If using Instant Pot no recipe adjustments needed.
- 6 cups of broth will make a pretty thick soup. Add more water or broth for less thick consistency.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 719mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 15gSugar: 6gProtein: 17g