Here you will learn how to cook frozen sausage in air fryer, so simple and makes perfectly cooked Italian or any other sausage. Ready in less than 20 minutes, this dish can be served with rice, potatoes or salad. Try it on a hot dog bun too!
There are so many ways to enjoy Italian sausage! With onions and bell peppers, on the bun, with sauerkraut or with potatoes. Options are endless! In this post i will show you how to cook air fryer frozen sausage and don’t waste time on thawing.
How to make frozen Italian sausage in air fryer
This must be one of my easiest recipes yet. I still made a couple of step by step pictures to show you the process but the recipe is simple.
Pull out Italian sausage from the freezer. You will need to run hot water on the back side of the package for about 1 minutes if the sausage you are using are sitting in the plastic tray.
You also need to make sure that the tray is not stuck anymore and can be easily pulled off. Otherwise you will not be able to remove the tray properly since we are using frozen sausage.
I use Johnsonville brand of Italian sausage. It’s the most common sausage brand around where I live. I have another recipe using same brand- air fryer brats, check it out. I chose mild because otherwise my kids won’t eat it. Definitely get the spicy one if you want!
Get the air fryer basket and lightly spray it with oil spray. Any vegetable oil like olive or avocado will work.
Place a block of sausages right in the air fryer basket and close the air fryer. Cook at 360 degrees for 10 minutes to allow it to thaw properly and than switch to 400 degrees and cook for another 10 minutes.
Can I make it in Ninja Foodi?
Absolutely! If you choose to use an Aircrisp lid you can follow instructions in this recipe exactly. You may want to try to make this recipe using your pressure cooker.
Place Italian sausage in Ninja foodi pot, add 1/2 cup of water and cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release the pressure after. Sausages will be so delicious and juicy!
You may want to brown them after. Drain the liquid and transfer sausages to the Ninja foodi air fryer basket. Air fry for couple minutes until they reach desired color.
What is traditional Italian sausage
The main difference between Italian and other kinds of sausages is that is primary seasoned with fennel seed, anise, coriander, garlic, salt and pepper. It also comes in three variations: mild, hot (cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes added) and sweet (additionally added sweet basil). This sausage is typically made out of pork shoulder or pork butt.
How to cook fresh Italian sausage
If you thawed your frozen sausage or just bought a fresh one, here are the time and temperature for it. Cook in the air fryer at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes. Make sure that the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Do not eat raw sausage. Don’t forget to lightly spray the bottom of air fryer basket with oil spray.
Why I love this recipe
- No defrosting needed. Don’t sweat about what to make for dinner ahead of time. Just pull this Italian sausages and cook them in air fryer from frozen under 20 minutes.
- Less clean up. Recipe uses only air fryer and you will may need a cutting board if you will decide to slice sausages after.
- No need to watch it. Just pour them into your air fryer and forget about them until it’s done.
- This frozen sausage in air fryer recipe will work with any sausage! Italian, brats, turkey or pretty much any uncooked dinner sausage.
As i mentioned before, my favorite sides for an air fryer frozen sausage is either sauerkraut or potatoes. Potatoes can be mashed, boiled and served with dill or simply pan fried with garlic and butter, yum!
Another option is to add some color to the plate! Make sauteed bell peppers and onions (sliced, not chopped), coleslaw salad ( try my recipe for KFC coleslaw ) or grilled vegetables. Serve sausage on a bun or with baked beans. Or on the bun topped with baked beans, anything you want.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 5 days. Use an air tight container or just put sausages in the ziplock bag. You can also freeze already cooked sausages, they will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months easily.
You can freeze them for much longer than that, just make sure there is no air in the freezer friendly bag or container. Otherwise long storage time can cause freezer burn to the food.
You may also like…
- Air fryer bbq chicken thighs
- Air fryer orange roughy
- Air fryer stuffed clams
- Air fryer frozen tilapia
- Air fryer chicken hearts
- Air fryer catfish nuggets
- 19 oz uncooked Italian sausage ( 6 sausages, frozen)
- oil spray
- Carefully remove sausages from the package*.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with oil spray. Place sausages on top.
- Cook at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, than increase temperature to 400 degrees and cook for another 10 minutes.
- * Run the bottom of the package under the warm water for 1 minute. It will help release sausages from the plastic tray.
- Make sure the internal temperature is at least 160 degrees for a fully cooked sausage.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 800mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g