Extra crispy delicious chicken wings cooked fresh or from frozen in your air fryer! Dinner is done in less than 20 minutes and the ranch flavor is something special. Try this recipe today and impress your guests! Tyson or not, they come out perfect each time!
Its not a secret anymore that the best chicken wings are cooked in the air fryer. I love it because its very easy, quick and all you will need to do in the end is to rinse the air fryer basket! Thats a winner dinner for a busy mom like me.
The secret to extra crispy wings in air fryer
- DO NOT overcrowd the basket. It might sound like a good idea if you are in rush and don’t have much time to cook in batches. But believe me you don’t want to do this! To get crispy skin and let wings cook properly air fryer needs enough air to circulate. If you will ovecrowd the basket you will end up with soggy chicken wings.
- If you cook chicken wings from frozen, make sure to rinse them first. Wings are usually covered in solution, that is basically water and salt. When heated it drains on the bottom of the air fryer basket and creates steam. That steam makes it so hard for chicken skin to crisp! I recommend draining the basket after about minutes of cooking.
- Once you drained the extra water , sprinkle wings with some baking powder. It will them to get extra crispy while cooking. Try it!
- If after the cooking time is over wings are not as crispy as you want, just set the maximum temperature and let them cook for additional 2-3 minutes. It will not dry the meat but it will help crisping the skin.
- At the last 5 minutes of cooking time spray wings with olive oil spray. Or avocado oil. If you don’t have a spray, brush them with oil. It will help to crisp the skin too.
Tyson frozen chicken wing sections
If you like to shop in big supermarkets like i do, you probably saw chicken wings sold by Tyson brand. I like to get wings that already cut in sections. Its convenient if you cook from frozen. This way you don’t need to precut wings by yourself in to smaller portions.
If you use another brand of wings, i recommend separating whole wings into sections before freezing. It help to reduce a cooking time and its just easier to eat too!
Cooking time and temperature
I had the best results when set the temperature for 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain the basket from extra liquid and cook for another 20 minutes shaking once or twice. Spray chicken wings with oil and cook for additional 5 minutes to crisp the skin.
How to store leftovers
If you made a bit more chicken wings that you can eat, just place them in a air tight container and store in the fringe for up to 4 days. Reheating instructions: you can easily reheat wings in the air fryer. Just drop them in the basket and set the temperature to 400 degree. No need to preheat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until wings reached desired crispiness.
Our favorite air fryer recipes to try
My family loves to try all kind of air fryer recipes and i would like to share some of our favorite:
- Air fryer brats -delicious!
- Air fryer frozen sweet potato fries
- Air fryer frozen chicken thighs
- Keto air fryer lemon pepper chicken wings – made from fresh wings!
- 12 frozen wings sections
- 1 package ranch dry mix
- oil spray
- Rinse chicken wings under running cold water. Place in the air fryer in one layer.
- Set the air fryer to 400 degrees and cook wings for 5 minutes. The basket will collect some water that you will need to drain. After, cover chicken wings with ranch dress mix, shake and and cook for another 25 minutes. Shake couple times during cooking.
- Spray wings with some oil and cook for the last 5 minutes. It will help to crisp the skin.
- Serve with chopped scalions on top and your favorite side dish.
Its very important to drain extra liquid during cooking. That liquid creates steam that doesn't not help with making wings crispy.
Another way to make the wings extra crispy is to sprinkle some baking powder over them right when you add ranch mix. I didnt use it in this recipe, but you will need about 1 tablespoon for all the wings.
Cooking on the highest air fryer setting in the last few minutes help a lot to make the skin crispy. Try it!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 18g