Delicious Ninja Foodi ham and bean soup is so easy and quick to make. Yummy one pot pressure cooker dish made with just a few ingredients, perfect for a winter soup season. Use leftover ham bone in this recipe along with leftover ham meat, add some beans and veggies and voila, your soup is ready in no time.
Bean and ham soup is made with smoked ham hock. Instead of ham hock you can use leftover ham with the bone. Smoked turkey necks will be amazing in this recipe.
How to make Ninja Foodi ham and bean soup
Chop your vegetables first. You will need an onion, couple carrots, celery and garlic. Chop everything and add to the pot.
You can saute vegetables in a little bit of oil before pressure cooking if you want but that’s not necessary. I made this soup many times and didn’t taste any difference. I just know that some people prefer to saute their vegetables before cooking and that’s perfectly fine.
I used dry navy beans. You can use any other beans you like. For presentation purposes i like to use white beans like navy beans. They are small and bright, and look beautiful in the soup.
Add beans and ham hock to the Ninja Foodi inner pot. Substitute ham hock to leftover ham bone if you have some. That’s a great way to use that extra ham. Add water and spices. I do not use broth instead of water because believe me, the soup will be flavorful enough after pressure cooked with smoked ham.
I used thyme and bay leaf. When the smoked ham is used you don’t need any more salt, it is already very salty.
Close and lock the lid. Cook for 30 minutes on high pressure and than quick release the pressure after its done. This time is enough for beans to get soft and for the ham hock to be very tender. Carefully open the lid and remove the ham bone.
Chop off as much meat as you can from the bone and place the meat back into the pot. Stir and serve with lots of chopped cilantro.
If you used just a leftover ham bone, add extra meat to the pot before cooking.
- Quick release the pressure as soon as the pressure cooker beeps. You don’t want o to overcook beans and make them mushy.
- Use ham bone instead of ham hock if you have one.
- Try different kind of beans, same size. Please let me know in the comments if you tried with different dry beans.
- If you don’t have dry beans, you can use canned beans. Reduce cooking time to 20 minutes. Add lots of chopped cilantro for serving. My husband says the more the better.
What can i use to thicken ham and bean soup
The soup suppose to be pretty thick when cooked properly. If for some reason its not thick and too runny, try this. The cornstarch is the best thing ever when you need to make soup or gravy thicker.
Pour 3 tablespoons of cold water in to a cup and add 2 tablespoon cornstarch. Mix it very well until the cornstarch is dissolved and add the mixture to the cooked soup. Stir well.
Do not use hot or warm water to mix with cornstarch. Soup broth will not work either as long as its hot. Cornstarch with get sticky and create lumps instead of dissolving.
Store Ninja Foodi ham and bean soup in the inner pot, covered with plastic in the fridge for 4 days. You can also store the soup in the air tight container if you don’t have lots of leftovers. I like to keep it in the same pot if i have more than 1 portion left, less dishes to clean!
The soup will get pretty hard and solid after refrigeration. Once it will get warm it will become a soup again. You will may need to add a little bit of broth before heating up.
More Ninja Foodi recipes
On my site you can find many Ninja Foodi recipes. Here are some of my most favorite dishes:
- Ninja Foodi whole frozen chicken
- Ninja foodi mashed potatoes
- Ninja Foodi beef short ribs
- Ninja Foodi frozen turkey breast
- Ninja Foodi beets
- Ninja foodi green beans
- Ninja foodi potato salad
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 big carrot, cubed
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped ham (optional)
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 smoked ham shank
- 8 cups water
- Add chopped onion, celery, cubed carrot and ham to the Ninja Foodi pot.
- Wash navy beans with cold water, drain and add to the pot. Add chopped garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Add ham shank and water.
- Close and lock the lid. Pressure cook for 30 minutes, quick release the pressure .
- Pull out smoked ham shank and cut off the meat and add it to the soup. Discard the bone.
- Add chopped cilantro, stir and serve.
- Quick release the pressure as soon as the pressure cooker beeps. You dont want o to overcook beans and make them mushy.
- Use ham nobe instead of ham hock if you have one.
- Try different kind of beans, same size. Please let e know in the comments ifyou tried with different dry beans.
- If you dont have dry beans, you can use canned beans. Reduce cooking time to 20 minutes.
- Add lots of chopped cilantro for serving. My husband says the more the better.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 492mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 13gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g