Super quick Ninja foodi beets recipe is so easy to make and so fast too. Pressure cooking beets is probably the best way of cooking it. Ready in less than 40 minutes, peels easy and perfectly tender.
I grew up eating beets and we used it in so many different recipes. From salad to soups. The most popular Russian beet soup is of course borscht. Beets are an amazing source of nutrients and I use this recipe to cook them every week. Seriously, we eat beets once or twice a week and we love it. I never tried canned beets i seen all over in stores.
How to cook beets in ninja foodi
You will be surprised how easy is it to make ninja foodi beets. Very simple and much faster that on the stove. In this recipe I decided not to peel beets before cooking. After you pressure cook it the skin comes off almost by itself.
Start with washing and scrubbing your beets really good. Most US stores sell beets already washed so you don’t need to do much at this step really.
Place root vegetables into the steamer basket. For that task I just used an air fryer basket. I placed 3 medium size beets and added 1 cup of water. Water is needed to bring your pressure cooker to actual pressure. No salt or any other seasoning is needed.
Medium size beets should be fork tender in 30 minutes. In the recipe card I will add a little cooking time chart for beets based on a size. Because bigger beets will need more time to cook all the way though.
Naturally release some pressure once cooked and carefully open the lid. We are letting some pressure to release naturally because it might get foamy in the pot. And we don’t want to get splashes all over the kitchen.
Using a fork check that vegetables are ready and tender. Let them cool until comfortable to touch. Using your fingers gently peel skin off the cooked beet. It should be coming off very easily.
Health benefits of beets
Beets are so beneficial for your health. They are packed with fiber, vitamin B9, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. It also helps with digestion. I always make a beet salad for my kids when they are bloated or their stomach hurt. Beef soup also is very good for digestion.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Do not peel beets before cooking. Skin will come off very easy once beets are pressure cooked. It will safe your time! Oh and skin is edible too if you wondered. We don’t eat it but i just never tried.
- Ninja foodi beets don’t really need seasoning. They are already super sweet and juicy. You may want to add some salt already in the plate. I do not season beets.
- When in store try to pick young looking beets. Old beets are usually huge and soft to the touch. Do not consume beets that has mold on it, even if you are going to peel them.
- If you get your root vegetable with the leaves on it, don’t throw them away. Just eat them the way you would eat any other greens. The are delicious and nutritious (high in calcium, vitamins and iron)
How to peel beets
If you want to avoid staining your fingers and hands with bright purple juices, try to use rubber gloves. They will protect your hands from being colored. I just used couple paper towels and used that to protect fingers. Even if you got some color on your hands, don’t worry, it will come off by the end of the day. Or just scrub it really well and it will disappear.
Where to use beets
As i mentioned before, Ninja foodi beets are amazing in red soup borscht or in salads. Since beets are root vegetables they can go very well with any meat, poultry or seafood. I like the combination of shredded beets with beef, cooked any way. My favorite beet salad is minced garlic mixed with shredded cooked beets with a touch of mayo. Its a traditional Russian quick salad that we make all the time. I also love beet with feta cheese and arugula. Healthy and delicious. Or try this amazing roasted beet salad with goat cheese. So good.
If you have any leftovers store them in the air tight container or a ziplock bag in the fridge for 3-4 days. Don’t freeze. I like to slice beets and keep in the refrigerator for snacking or for adding to salads. So handy!
More ninja foodi recipes
- Ninja foodi Southern green beans
- Ninja Foodi turkey tenderloin
- Ninja foodi red potato salad
- Ninja foodi broccoli cheese soup
- Ninja foodi turkey wings
- Ninja Foodi broccoli
- 3 medium size beets
- 1 cup water
- Wash and scrub any dirt of your beets. Place them in to your steamer basket or Ninja foodi air fryer basket.
- Add water and close and lock the lid. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes of the beets you have are medium size.
- Release pressure naturally for 5-10 minutes and than open the valve. Let all the steam out. Open the lid carefully.
- Using tongs take beets out and place on the plate. This way they will cool faster. Using your fingers, peel the skin off, it should come out easy.
- Now slice it and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 33Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g