Soft melt in your mouth tender pork liver cooked with potatoes, onions in delicious cream sauce. Ready in under 30 minutes and so flavorful! Nutritious lunch or dinner for the whole family to enjoy!
If you like to eat liver pate or liver sausages, you will definitely enjoy this dish. Pork liver with potatoes is a strong flavored dish and the sour cream sauce cools is down a bit.
Is it safe to eat pork liver
It is absolutely safe and healthy to eat pork liver as long as its cooked all the way through. It has to change color all the way to the center.
Where to buy
I didn’t see pork liver sold in nearby stores. Beef liver, chicken liver no problem, but no pork liver. So i found a way and started ordering it online. It comes completely frozen and you will need to properly thaw it.
How to thaw liver properly
The best way to thaw pork liver or any other offal meat is in the fridge overnight. Use a good size bowl and put the liver package in it to catch any thawed drippings. If you are short in time, you can also just leave liver on the counter for couple hours to thaw.
How to cook pork liver with potatoes
For this recipe i boiled potatoes separately and added in the end to the pot to cover in sauce. You can make mashed potatoes and serve it as a side dish.
Liver needs lots of onions so we are going to chop up some onions first. Slice 2 onions and add to a heated pan with oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes until golden in color. Meanwhile wash pig liver and chop into even cubes. Try to cut them evenly so they will cook through in the same time.
Once onions are completely cooked, add liver and stir. Over medium heat cook it for about 5 minutes and then add sour cream with spices. Cook until liver is no longer pink inside, another 5 minutes.
Cooking time depends greatly on the pork pieces thickness. If you will chop liver pieces in to really small chunks, it might be cooked in 5 minutes total .Take one piece out and slice in half on a plate. If its no longer pink- its ready.
Sauce will get thicker over time so you can always add more sour cream or a splash of water to thin it.
Spices i used in this pig liver recipe are thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Use fresh garlic if desired. Mince or chop it and add with liver.
Recipe tips and tricks
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to not overcook liver. If you will leave it on the stove for just 5-10 minutes more, liver might be tough and dry. Always check the time when cooking pork liver.
- Lemon is such a great addition to the recipe. Cut one slice in quarters and add to each plate. I didn’t squeeze it so the sauce will not curdle. Just take a bit of lemon with a bite of pork liver. Try it!
- Do not consume raw pork liver, or any other type of pork meat. You may get a food poisoning from bacteria that present in raw meats.
- You can substitute sour cream for heavy creamy or even half and half. In this way you will need to add some flour to the sauce to thicken in.
What do i love most about this recipe? Liver is so full of nutrients, even sauteed with sour cream, it stays healthy. Delicious dinner or lunch!
More offal and other recipes recipes
- Easy beef liver pate
- Chopped chicken liver
- Sauteed chicken gizzards recipe
- Slow cooker beef heart stew
- Pig feet recipe
- 1 lb pork liver
- 2 onions
- 3 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Boil peeled potatoes until done. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot. Slice onions thinly and add to the pot. Saute stirring for about 5 minutes, until golden on color.
- Meanwhile rinse pork liver under the cold running water. Cut in in even pieces and add to onions. Brown pork for about 3-5 minutes, depending on a thickness.
- Add sour cream and spices. Add chopped potatoes. Stir it and simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Take a piece out, cut in half. If its no longer pink, its ready!
- Potatoes can be mashed and served as a side dish.
- Do not overcook pork! Its very important because overcooked liver is very tough and hard to chew.
- Substitute potatoes to white rice if you want. Or noodles!
- Use a heavy bottom pot or a regular pan. Both work well.
- Adjust cooking time accordingly. If you slice pig liver in tiny pieces, cut cooking time in half
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 436mgSodium: 617mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g