This Instant pot beef liver recipe is an old-fashioned meal made easily in the pressure cooker! Cooking in under 10 minutes, you’ll love how tender and flavorful this dinner is!
If you grew up eating liver this Instant pot beef liver and onions recipe will remind you of your childhood. In this recipe, beef liver is cooked with sliced onions, garlic, beef broth, and sour cream.
The tender meat is smothered in a rich and creamy gravy and it’s so good served over mashed potatoes. Try my other favorite liver dish- air fryer beef liver, for every beef liver lover.
By cooking the beef liver in a pressure cooker it stays tender and has a softer texture than oven baking or pan frying. It cooks faster and it doesn’t become tough or rubbery.
Liver is a very healthy cut of meat that is rich in iron and plenty of other vitamins and minerals. It has a bold flavor and beef liver in particular tastes sweet and earthy. This is a quick and easy dish to make when you are short on time and it’s very hearty and filling too!
Beef liver. You will need 1lb of beef liver cut into 1-inch chunks. Use high-quality grass-fed liver if you can.
Onions. White or yellow onions cut into slices. Its sweetness goes well with liver.
Garlic. Lends a very rich and savory flavor to this liver and onions recipe.
Butter. For nice flavor.
Beef broth. Keeps the liver from drying out during the cooking process and gives a strong beefy flavor to this dish.
Seasonings. Salt, black and white pepper. White pepper is earthy and tastes similar to ground ginger.
Sour cream. Adds a creamy tanginess to this Instant Pot liver and onions recipe.
How to make Instant pot beef liver
If beef liver is frozen you will need to defrost it first. Leave on the counter for couple hours or thaw in the fridge overnight. Rinse with cold running water and slice in about 1 inch pieces.
Add liver to the pot. Thinly slice onions and add to the liver with a pice of unsalted butter. Add black pepper, white pepper and salt and some beef broth. Add minced or chopped garlic. Stir.
Close and lock the lid. Pressure cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure when done. Carefully open the lid and stir. Add sour cream and stir again. Try and add more seasoning if needed. Serve with chopped green onions on top.
Beef liver. Use calf, lamb, or veal liver instead. These types of liver have a milder flavor than beef liver. Pork liver has a stronger bolder flavor that can be used if you like!
Butter. Use olive oil instead.
Beef broth. Chicken broth or beef bouillon with 1/2 cup of water can be used in place of the beef broth.
White pepper. If you can’t find it simply leave it out.
Sour cream. Use Greek yogurt instead.
Optional, but you can soak the liver in milk to help remove any bitter and metallic flavor from the meat. Simply add the liver pieces to 1 1/2 cups of milk and allow it to soak for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
To make this Instant Pot beef liver recipe dairy free, replace the butter with vegetable oil, or vegan butter, and the sour cream with vegan sour cream or vegan Greek yogurt.
Serve this Instant Pot liver with crispy bacon bits. Alternatively, you could turn on the SATUE function of the Instant Pot to brown the bacon and onions before adding the other ingredients to give this recipe a sweet and smoky flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, I like to rinse my liver under cold water before cooking to remove any impurities. It is also a good opportunity to remove any fat or tendons, that can give your liver an offputting taste and texture.
Soaking the liver in milk can help with reducing the strong gamey and metallic taste of liver, giving it a milder flavor. It can also help the liver be more tender and less likely to be tough and rubbery when cooked.
Yes. Overcooked liver has a tough and chewy texture with a bitter taste and strong mineral flavor.
Liver is considered one of the healthiest meats because it contains a concentrated amount of essential vitamins and minerals, such as iron, vitamin A, and selenium. You only need to a tiny amount of meat to reap amazing benefits compared to other meats.
Liver cooks very quickly and when the center is no longer bloody it’s done.
Mashed potatoes: Creamy and buttery mashed potatoes are a classic pairing for beef liver. They can help balance out the strong flavor of the liver and add some comfort food vibes to the meal.
Rice: Steamed or boiled rice can serve as a neutral base for liver, and can help soak up any sauces or gravy that are served with it.
Grilled vegetables: A side of grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers can provide a tasty and nutritious complement to liver.
Greens: A side of steamed or sautéed greens like spinach, kale, or Swiss chard can add some nutritional value to the meal and help balance out the richness of the liver.
Its important to store leftover instant pot liver properly to avoid drying it out.
- Let it cool: Allow the leftover beef liver to cool down to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Wrap it tightly: Wrap the beef liver tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent air exposure and keep it moist. You can also use an air tight glass or plastic container for storage.
- Store in the refrigerator: If you plan to consume the leftover beef liver within the next few days, store it in the refrigerator. It should be consumed within 3-4 days.
- Freeze for longer storage: If you won’t be consuming the leftover pressure cooker beef liver within a few days, it’s best to freeze it for longer storage. Place the wrapped beef liver in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag and label it with the date. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
- Thaw carefully: When you’re ready to eat it, remove from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Avoid thawing it at room temperature or in warm water as it will affect the texture and flavor of the meat.
- Reheat in the microwave, oven, or on the stovetop. Instant pot also can be used in Saute setting. Do not overheat or it will become dry.
You will also like
- Ground elk recipe
- Bison tartare
- Elk medallions recipe
- Red Argentinian shrimp recipe
- Beef liver stew
- Air fryer lamb steaks
- Air fryer monkfish
- Beef liver pate recipe(highly rated!)
- Instant pot neck bones
- Pork tongue recipe
Hope you will like this Instant pot beef liver recipe as much as we do. Please rate the recipe if you made it and leave a comment below if you have any questions or comments.
Instant pot beef liver
This Instant pot beef liver recipe is an old-fashioned meal made easily in the pressure cooker! Cooking in under 10 minutes, you'll love how tender and flavorful this dinner is!
- 1 lb beef liver
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- white pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Slice liver in about 1 inch pieces. Soak in milk if desired.
- Add all the ingredients in to the pot (except sour cream) and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Quick release.
- Add sour cream and stir. Add more seasoning if needed.
Additional time added for pressure build up and release.
Leave a Reply